Friday, September 03, 2004

Weekly Sports Round-Up [9/3/04]

I got to watch both ESPN televised college football games on Thursday [I slept through the Friday game] and I was pretty pleased watching both games. Utah, a team I admittedly didn't know a thing about, went out and dominated Texas A&M on the field. Now, as some of you know, I've never, ever liked Texas A&M, so I particularly loved seeing them get thrashed on national TV by a Mountain West team. Looks like the Aggies are in for another rough season. Ha! The final score was 41-21, but it was never close.

The second game, TCU vs. Northwestern, was both great and absolutely horrible. It was great in that no matter what TCU did, Northwestern's players mustered up the courage and drive to respond to the Horned Frogs, and they scored with seconds left to take the game into overtime. Overtime was great too - NW got the ball first, stalled 3 plays, and then the kicker missed a field goal - his 4th miss of the night. TCU got the ball, stalled, and when they attempted to kick a FG of their own, it was blocked. 2nd Overtime, baby. In this one, TCU got it, lost 10 or so yards, then kicked a 47-yd FG to take a 3 point lead. Northwestern got the ball, drove ahead a little bit, and then lined up for the field goal. The kicker let it go, and it sailed about 15 feet to the right of the goal posts. Game over, Frogs win. Now, I feel really bad for everyone on Northwestern's team for playing one of the best games they've ever played and losing it because some kicker decided to have an off day and miss FIVE FREAKING FIELD GOALS. The coach has to take some heat though, because if a kicker missed 4 field goals in a game for FSU or Miami, you can bet your ass they wouldn't get a chance to kick #5. That's why you have 2 kickers on your depth chart, coach.

I watched some of the Toyota World Cup of hockey today - the match between the Czech Republic and Germany. First off, why is Toyota, a Japanese company, the title sponsor? I didn't know the Japanese much cared for hockey. But then again, the "national championship" of Poker is the "Toyota Tundra Player of the Year" award. I digress. The Czech team was loaded with good NHL talent at pretty much every position, while I couldn't name a single player on the German team - which says something, cause I really, really know my NHL. The Czechs started out slow [Vokoun is a Czech? Since when?] but then got on a goddamned tear and obliterated the Deutschbags 7-2. Hell of a game, Czechs.

And how about my goddamned Red Sox? 10 games in a row now, after Pedro shut down the Rangers 2-0. Sox pull within 2 1/2 games of the Yankees, who lost Kevin Brown for the year after he decided he'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out with A CONCRETE WALL. Now KB's a GT grad, so I'm not going to bash him - but guy, you've got to know better than that. Next up for the Sox: 2 more vs. Texas, 3 at Oakland, and down the road, 6 more against the Steinbrenners. Go Sawx.

As much as I hate to say it, Chris Simms is looking pretty damned good at QB for the Bucs. His pass to Will Heller [ex-GT TE] was a thing of beauty in their preseason win over the Texans. Simms has a pretty bright future, and picking him up at the end of the 3rd round last year might have been one hell of a steal. For the love of god, Jon Gruden, please bury Brian Griese as far down on the depth chart as you can. We don't need another repeat of the Rob Johnson fiasco. Thanks.

Oh, and GT football kicks off in less than 12 hours. Hard to get excited about playing a I-AA team, and it not being televised, but I'm glad we've got NCAA football back.

And damn, I love this picture:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page