Thursday, September 02, 2004

1-800-555-TELL

Okay, if you're like me, you probably have a cell phone. I personally am a huge sports fan, and when I'm not near a computer or a TV, I still want to know what's going on in the sports world (or any other important news). The most obvious option is using the Mobile Web features on my cell phone - but frankly, that option sucks ass. Most mobile carriers charge $5-10/month (Alltel charges me $5.95 + minutes) and the interface is slow and it all and all sucks.

Enter 1-800-555-TELL [8355].

You call that number, and the voice driven prompts allow you to navigate through their menus and hear reports on the news, weather, sports scores, stock reports, etc. A sample call:

[Dials 1-800-555-TELL]
TELL: Good evening, you're connected to 1800555TELL. Main menu: when you hear the one you want, just say it: Stock quotes, news center, sports, travel, popular shortcuts
Me: Sports
TELL: This is sports. Say the name of a sport or tell me my choices.
Me: College football
TELL: Here are the latest college football scores. Currently Utah is leading Texas A&M 14-0 in the 2nd Quarter.
Me: Baseball
TELL: Baseball - say American League, National League, or a Team Name. Also say Point Spread or Injury Report.
Me: Boston Red Sox
TELL: Currently the Red Sox have the lead over the Angels 3 to 2 in the top of the 3rd.

You get the point. It's free, and it negates paying for mobile web. Huzzah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page