Sunday, October 23, 2005

Tim Finnegan lived on Watling Street, A Gentle Lad

So last night, to avoid the mass of FAMU's homecoming we went to a new Irish Pub off Thomasville called (oh-so-originally) Finnegan's Wake. Beer selection was decent (typical Harp/Bass/Guinness and some other domestics, including humorously Killian's) and the ambience of the place was pretty nice. It was crowded as hell, but I should expect that on a Saturday night. Music was a little out-of-place for an Irish pub though. Sure, you'd hear an occasional Pogues song (nice touch) but the majority of it was jam band crap like Dave Matthews and Phish. They should let me handle the music. Nothing but Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, The Pogues, Black 47...I could spruce it up. Will I go back to that place? More than likely. Prices were a bit steep though. In fairness, they did have the best Guinness I've had anywhere in Tallahassee. Very fresh, very sweet. I think the place is a chain.

So on the way to the pub I popped in Flogging Molly's 2002 album "Drunken Lullabies" and rocked out, Irish style. I was trying to get into the mood of things afterall. [Though to keep up my rep as an asshole I wore an English national team soccer jersey. Nobody's perfect. Go Lions!] But after listening to the album after a few pints of stout in my system, I discovered that it probably is the absolute best album to listen to in such an occasion. The album is extremely lively to begin with, but after a few spirits, it just comes to life even more.

Go listen to "Kings of the Kilburn High" or "May the Living be Dead in Our Wake" and you'll agree. Or maybe not...if you suck.

Technorati Tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page