Thursday, September 15, 2005

Re:Portable

Okay, I think I've been neglecting my PSP, so here is a quick rundown of the games I've played and what I think of them:

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix: Pretty true to the PS2/XBox version, but with different cities to ride around in. Looks great, handles well, is lots of fun. I personally liked THUG1 better than THUG2, but that's just me. Good game, worth buying if you liked any of the other THUG/THPS games. Rating: 7/10.

Lumines: A GREAT puzzle game. A weird combination of Tetris and Columns, this game is ridiculously addicting. This is a must-own for any PSP owner. Rating: 10/10.

Wipeout Pure: I love racing games, and this is one of the slickest ones I've ever played. The sense of speed is good, and the game mechanics, graphics, and audio are all worth the purchase alone. Rating: 8/10.

MVP Baseball: Based on last year's MVP 2005 engine, this is a good baseball package for the PSP. Multiplayer is fun (the HR Derby to 1 mile is great) but one gripe I have is the lack of an ability to play shorter games (5 innings, 7 innings, etc) or a shorter season (say, 81 or 40 games instead of the full 162) in season mode. That, and the fact that EA feels like they can gauge PSP owners - the PS2 and XBox versions retailed for $29.99, the PSP version for $49.99, which is absolutely bullshit. Rating: 7/10.

Twisted Metal: Head-On: True to the old console versions (PS1, PS2) the game looks and plays great, with the exception of the controls. I never liked how you had to press the forward button to go forward, instead of the customary use of the triggers for forward reverse (though I know you need those for all the extra weapon buttons in the game). Fun game, haven't tried multiplayer. Rating: 5/10.

Archer McLean's Mercury: A mediocre puzzle game. I honestly wasn't too impressed by either the concept or the execution. The game seemed like a poor man's version of the much better Super Monkey Ball. Rating: 3/10.

Virtua Tennis World Tour: Wow. Just as fun as the old Dreamcast versions. Sega proves that they still make the best tennis game on the market. Every PSP owner should buy this game. Rating: 10/10.

Burnout Legends: Once you remember to change the default configuration to use the L/R shoulder buttons for brake/gas, this game is as good as it gets on the PSP. Based on last year's Burnout 3: Takedown model (you can't use traffic for takedowns like you can in Burnout 4: Revenge) this game also features Burnout 3's Crash Mode (a feature which I was never to fond of, but it's kinda neat). If you have a PSP, you need this game. Only problem is I'll be splitting time between this and Burnout 4 on my Xbox. Decisions, decisions. Rating: 10/10.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: This one is actually a movie that commenses two years after the end of Final Fantasy VII. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that this movie is worth watching if you're a fan of Final Fantasy.

Anybody else watched Prison Break on Fox? What a show!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page