Monday, September 05, 2005

At Long Last, Kickoff.

My favorite season of all, football season, is finally here. I spent the better part of the last 4 days watching college football on TV. Didn't matter who was playing, I watched. The Clemson/Texas A&M game was great, and I give Clemson credit for staying with them and putting up just enough FGs to take the game. Oklahoma losing to Texas Christian was just nuts. I watched Boston College beat BYU, a game which I wasn't really impressed by.

The game of the weekend, of course, was my Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets beating Auburn on the plains in Alabama. The Jackets seemed to dominate from start to finish, and the oft up-and-down Reggie Ball was calm, collected, and seemed to know what he was doing. Calvin Johnson is indeed THE MAN and his catch early in the first quarter for a touchdown really set the tone for the game.


Reggie Ball, on the move. [Photo by Associated Press]

I really tip my hat to Jon Tenuta and his defensive scheme. GT really did put the smack down on the Tigers' offense, holding them to one TD and two FGs. There are holes in the defense though. The commentators pointed out the flaw of Tech's defense being a shallow one, and the depth showed late in the game. My biggest fear is that this Tech team will play lights-out defense for three quarters then get tired and let up some home-run balls in the forth quarter and let a close one slip away. Happened two years ago at FSU and last year to Virginia Tech, let's hope that's not the case this year.


Looks like a sack to me! [Photo by Associated Press]

Even though the game got rediculously unnerving late in the game with Auburn seeming having their way with Tech's defense, the inexperience of the Auburn QB and his FOUR interceptions late in the game sealed the deal for GT. Putting up a FG late in the game and going up 23-14 all but sealed it for the Yellow Jackets.


Is there anything better than a victorious round of Ramblin' Wreck on a rival's field? TO HELL WITH GEORGIA! [Photo by Associated Press]

The NCSU vs. Virginia Tech game tonight was a great one, though I was less than pleased with the outcome - NC State let VT walk away with one in my opinion. A great week for the ACC, the league is going to be tough to win. GT has a murderer's row on the schedule, but if we can win at Miami, at Virginia Tech, and at Virginia, then there's little doubt who the best team in the ACC is. Will that happen? Probably not, but I'd love to see it. I don't know what to expect after our performance against Auburn, to tell the truth. But I'll be on my couch, watching every game I can, with my #1 jersey on screaming my brains out. Nobody can call me fairweather.


Our season lives and dies with #1. So don't let me down, Reggie! [Photo by Associated Press]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page