Sunday, June 05, 2005

E is for Entitlements

So with the first month of my pre-med schooling coming to an end one thing I've learned so far is that the calibre of FSU students as a whole is far, far less than that at Georgia Tech. Now that's not a cheap shot at FSU students, there really are some good, smart kids at FSU - but the mean is considerably lower than at GT. Which makes sense as FSU's not a technical school. The thing that does baffle me though is the amount of complaining that FSU undergrads do. Lots and lots of freaking complaining. It's almost as if some of these students feel as if they're entitled to grades just because they show up - even if they take a test and fail the hell out of it [regardless of whether or not they studied] it's all the instructor's fault and they can just talk to the professor and get a sympathy-based grade change. One person in front of me before the Bio test actually said "Well if I fail it I'm gonna go talk to the professor and see if I can get a letter grade higher. It worked with my Math teacher." Simply mindboggling. That kind of thing infuriates the hell out of somebody like me who's doing all the work. These are the same kids that when given a long homework assignment, instead of just putting in the extra hours and turning it in on the day it is due, they show up with an incomplete assignment and demand an extension. That's not how stuff works in the real world, kids. If your boss says "Have it done by Tuesday" you can't show up on Tuesday morning and just arbitrarily demand an extension. Well, you can - but your ass will very quickly be fired. I hope that these kids get weeded out so I don't have them in my advanced Bio/Chem classes.

Viva La Bam is the most underrated reality show on TV. It's like Jackass, but so much better. The insanity that they pull off is incredible and the massive scavenger hunt/dare shows they have are some of the most amusing things ever. I personally have always loved scavenger hunts - and I can't tell you how badly I want to put one on one day. Though more than that I'd like somebody else to make a kickass one and for me to compete in it.

Earlier this week in a particular nasty AIM away message you might've seen my desire to become a full-fledged misogynist. While that's not even remotely true [I love women and I'm far too nice to be that much of a dick] I do admit that women in general frustrate the living shit out of me. But not enough to condemn the entire gender. Case and point: Elise, you rock my world. Thanks for the wonderful gift! [Come visit! Now! I miss you!] Overall I think that just not having any dateable women around at work [they're either unavailable or very uninterested] or school [I'm 5-6 years older than all my classmates] or just amongst my friends is wearing on me. The whole passive rejection thing is getting old - you can only be "just a friend" for so many people before it gets old. Here's to hoping med school will be prosperous.

Oh, and props to Georgia Tech baseball for winning both the regular season and ACC tournament championships, beating FSU 5 times in the process. Go Jackets!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page