Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Ketchup and Toast

Okay, it's been forever and a half since I updated this thing. I started college again on Monday on my pre-med track at Florida State. Biology I (which FSU is making me re-take), Chemistry II, and their respective labs are the classes for the summer. It really was amusing to me attending these classes filled with sophomores and freshman and hearing the way they talk, particularly complain, and how you can see the struggle for them to understand the material on their face. I'm one of the oldest people in my classes, if not THE oldest, and it's an interesting change of pace. I remember having some older people in my undergraduate classes at Georgia Tech and I often wondered how it felt for them to be so out of place from a demographic standpoint. I know without a doubt that my age and my drive are going to help me do better in these classes. Hope that proves right.

Movies time. Recently I've seen Sin City, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Fever Pitch, The Life Aquatic, Night of the Living Dead, and Hitch.

Sin City: Finally saw this one today and I liked it. Was it incredibly awesome? Not really. Was it a good flick? Yeah. It really was like a comic book in movie form. I liked the shooting style of the film and the acting was superb, and even the story was good. But the three subplot, substory style really kept it from feeling like a full-length movie to me.

H2G2: I thorougly enjoyed this. I've read all the books, and I have to admit that anybody who expects a 100% straight adaptation of the book into movie form would probably be upset. Elise, who saw it with me, hadn't read the books but she enjoyed it. I hope they make more of the series.

Fever Pitch: I saw this for two reasons, I too am a die-hard Red Sox Fan and I've always had the hots for Drew Barrymore. Verdict? Good date movie, especially for a sports fan.

Hitch: Same category, good date movie that's suitable enough for a guy to see. (It didn't suck).

The Life Aquatic: This movie has caught a lot of grief from Wes Anderson fans, but I really liked it. I bought the DVD yesterday and rewatched it, and I have to say that I think it's still just hilarious. I don't think it's better than Tenenbaums, but I do like it more than Rushmore.

Night of the Living Dead: I bought this DVD for $1 when I was in Chapel Hill at a Walmart and watched it while Meg was in class - and what a good buy. For $1 I got a classic horror film complete with its terrible ending.


Okay, now on to the music. Here are the albums that have been on heavy rotation for me lately:
Reel Big Fish - Turn the Radio Off [it's good, fun music]
Ash - Meltdown [rocking pop]
Autopilot Off - Make A Sound [refined screamo, full of energy]
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth [incredible rock]
The Faint - Wet From Birth [possibly the best album of 2004]
Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die [incredible ADD symphonic pop]
Ludacris - The Red Light District [Luda's my favorite rapper]
The Game - Documentary [Compton's back on the rap scene]
50 Cent - The Massacre [some great tracks]
My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge [the other great 2004 album]
Beck - Guero [reminds me a lot of Mellow Gold]
Ben Folds - Songs for Silverman [CYNICAL but great]


My computers are now Windows free. All three of my machines are now proudly running Debian-based Ubuntu Linux which not only has the best user interface that I've ever seen but also works flawlessly with all the hardware I've thrown at it (my crappy Dell laptop, my Dell desktop, and an old K6-2 333mHz homebuilt pc). Wireless [especially 802.11g] works great. To anybody interested in ditching Windows, give it a shot. Download a LiveCD from the website and give it a shot. Try it for a day.

The only program that I'm missing so far is Hello, as I was using it to finish up my photo blog. I guess I'll use the Windows box for that till I get Hello to play nicely with Wine and Linux.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you aware that the word is spelled "cynical"? You are a retard, but I suppose that went without saying, my dear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page