Friday, March 03, 2006

They've Shown This on Both Screens

So as Spring Break began today, I felt a need to do something fun - so I decided to go and see a movie. I couldn't decide which, so I headed over to Rotten Tomatoes and looked at the ratings. Dave Chappelle's movie had a stellar 98%, but I really wanted to see Ultraviolet. I hate making choices like this, so I checked the times. Lucky for me, both were short (1:42 for Dave and 1:25 for Ultraviolet) so I looked into the feasability of the ellusive double feature:




and boom:



So we were a go. Now I know that theater hopping is usually left to the younger crowd, but who doesn't like to do it every once in a while? Unfortunately, karma got the best of me. No, I didn't get caught. I just got screwed. Let me elaborate about the double feature.

Dave Chappelle's Block Party: This movie was GREAT. If you like Chappelle's comedy and great hip-hop, you're in for a treat. Now don't go into this thinking it's a comedy, it's not. It's a documentary by Michel Gondry, one of the best directors out there. It's a documentary about an incredible hip-hop concert in Brooklyn starring The Roots, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Kanye West, Common, Big Daddy Kane, and the killer moment - the return of The Fugees. The music was incredible. Stir in great camera work with bits and pieces of Dave's comedy and you've got a great 2 hours of fun.

Ultraviolet: Holy crap. This movie...I don't know how to describe this steaming pile of shit. I can't accurately portray just how TERRIBLE this atrocity was. No story at all (so wait, they're vampires? Huh?), terrible CG (think pre-Harry Potter 1 CG - about as good as what you'd see in Half-Life back in 1999), and crappy "action" scenes. It's not a "fight" scene if all we see is everybody rush Milla, then we hear a sword being unsheathed and witness a pause, and the next thing you see is all the bad guys falling over dead. [And guys, to answer your question: no. There is no nudity.] This was a movie trying to be artsy and actiony and epic, and it successfully manages to brutally fail in each of these regards. This has got to be in my worst 5 movies of all time. I checked my watch at LEAST 8 times during this movie, and it's only 85 or so minutes long. Speaking of terrible though, here are the worst 5 movies that I can remember seeing at the theater:

1. Thirteen Ghosts
2. Ultraviolet
3. Rollerball
4. Street Fighter: The Movie
5. House of 1000 Corpses

Now a note about #5 there. I just saw the sequel, The Devil's Rejects, and I really enjoyed it. It'll take a hell of a flop to knock #1 from it's perch. I mean, what a terrible movie. How could you slum so much Shannon Elizabeth?!

Computer malfunction of the week: My damned PCMCIA port stopped working on my laptop, so I had to order a USB bluetooth and wifi adapter. Hella weak.

By the way, it's March 3rd. Look at this bullshit:

80 degrees at 7PM! How is that fair?!

Oh, I got my MCAT admission ticket today. It's getting ever closer to April 22nd. Took a practice today and got a 37. Missed 9 questions (out of 216) and somehow that translates to -8 overall. Scaled scores are the devil when you're dealing with the top-end. You can miss 5 or 6 in scores less than 10, but when you get to the teens, miss one and you drop a point. I'm targeting a 41, but I'll be happy with anything over 36.

CMT has shown Smokey and the Bandit a few times this weekend, so I tuned in once cause, hell - it's a great movie. "What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law" - classic. I didn't remember Jackie Gleason was Buford T. Justice, but he was great. It was interesting to see what south Atlanta looked like in the early 1970s, and how much it's changed between then and when I lived there a few years back. Oh, and I now own 1 piece of NASCAR clothing. Let me know when I've crossed the threshold to "redneck", okay? [Go #20!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page