Thursday, March 09, 2006

Sucker MCs Should Call Me Sire

Georgia Tech's basketball season mercifully came to an end tonight. I could only stand to watch the first 10 minutes or so - and I'm as die-hard as they come. Tech was just throwing airballs left and right, not even TRYING to get the ball inside, and started the game 0-9 from the 3pt line and not surprisingly GT found itself down 16-32 before they knew what hit them. I know it's a young team, but they just need to pick up on the fundamentals. You've got a few months, Coach Hewitt. Get them boys in shape.

While we're on the ACC Tournament, I've got to blast FSU's 2nd half performance against Wake Forest. Wake played like they wanted to win, I'll give them that. FSU on the other hand played like they had a 35 point lead, when they were really only up a handful. The last 10 minutes of the game the Noles showed NO signs of life. If they're left out on Selection Sunday, losing by 12 to the doorstop of the league should be the sole reason why.

I just read this article over at SomethingAwful and nearly died laughing. It's a great mockery of all the Japo-philes out there - if you hang out with nerds you know AT LEAST one of these people. Hilarious stuff.

Now that I've got a pair of iPods and a Mac, I figured it was time to try out some of the features that Apple's been promoting for a while. First off was Front Row. I used Front Row Enabler [google for it] to allow my old G3 to run the free application. Great app. While it won't be taking the place of my XBMC any time soon, I do see the appeal. A killer setup: the new Mac Mini, Front Row, DTV (the Mac version of the killer Democracy Player), a torrent app - that would be slick.

I'd been wanting to get into podcasting for a while, but it was a pain in the ass before iTunes made it all easy to sync with my iPod. I love the hell out of podcasting. Listening to the ESPN Radio podcast in the morning (along with the New York Times front page and possibly the BEST podcast, The Onion Radio News) has made my commute excellent [I would just listen to ESPN Radio live, but my damned AM radio doesn't work in my car.] A short list of the podcasts I'm currently subscribed to:
The Onion Radio News, ESPN Radio, New York Times Daily, Diggnation (video), This Week in Tech (TWiT), hak.5 (video), Infected with Martin Sargent, Ask a Ninja, Strongbad Emails, Systm, and a couple others. Great stuff. I've got my networking set to where I can watch the shows on my Xbox if I feel so inclined.

If you haven't seen Ask a Ninja, go there now.

I can't believe that I'd never visited LifeHacker before, but it is a GREAT site. For sure a daily read from now on, along with Digg, Slashdot, Engadget, Fark, hackaday, and Make.

Oh, and I finally got off my ass and started using del.icio.us. Feel free to follow my feed if you feel so inclined. Speaking of feeds, the RSS link for this site is up on the right. Subscribe!

My PCMCIA cage crapped out, so I've moved onto a USB based WiFi solution, but while I was at it I picked up a USB bluetooth adapter. After some forum scrounging, a download of Motorola Mobile Phone Tools 4.0, and getting Alltel to add a non-advertised feature code [code "FST1" for any interested] I am now proud to say that I can use my Motorola v710 as a wireless modem via bluetooth, and I connect at around 120 kbps. Not stellar, but when I'm away from a wifi signal I can now access the net from wherever and all it uses is minutes. Swank.

4 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That SA editorial was freakin hilarious.

Thought you might find this interesting, saw it a couple days ago... http://www.digg.com/apple/Front_Row_Enabler_Gets_a_Cease_and_Dessist

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and you should add woot.com to your daily routine. And my web page, OF COURSE.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger cataphoresis said...

Yeah, I used the Front Row Enabler when I read about it getting yanked - I grabbed it off a mirror. Damn thing made my Menu bar disappear, but I got it back after googling for a fix.

Woot.com is of course great, but when you're trying not to spend money, staying away from that site is a good thing. That, BensBargains, TechBargains, FatWallet, and the Anandtech Deal forums - I've spent some money from links in those places.

Oh, and I need to edit my damned template to put your link on the site. Shout outs and all.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh... that's alright, I totally neglected to link your page until yesterday. I thought I'd done that a while ago.

Looking at your links... I forgot you knew Alan Staney. And I think I went to school (like, elementary/middle school) with Jeff Doker

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page