Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Grad School, Pistons, Reversible Clothes, Euro 2004

The job hunt has been horrendously slow for me, with a whopping 3 interviews since I left school [yes, I took the first one and worked for 7 months, but that still doesn't excuse my current state]. After hearing that I'm not moving to Vegas, as the company opted for a Doctoral student of Electrical Engineering, things are looking admittedly shitty once again. So the thoughts of going back to school to pick up my masters in either Bioengineering or Mechanical Engineering have recently popped up in my head. While I'm not uber-keen on the idea of more school, since it'll definitely be a state school [probably FSU over UF or UCF], at least it won't break the bank. Only problem is, if I choose to take this route [and in all honesty, I'd rather just have a good job] then I have to move quick - deadlines for admission are July 1st for Fall 2004, but I guess I could always take a menial job and hold out for Spring 2005 admission. My undergrad GPA held me back in a lot of ways, but not as much as it did when coupled with my lack of experience getting out of college. At least a Master's degree would give me another chance to wipe that GPA clean, and to make myself more marketable than I am in my current state. Now all this might dissipate if I get the job in Albany, but who knows?

Congrats to the Detroit Pistons for obliterating the L.A. Lakers. While I'm a big Shaq fan, and admittedly pulled for the Lakers going into the series, I have nothing but respect for the way that Detroit dominated the series. They're a hard working team, and the value they put on solid, defensive play is amazing. After hearing the whining of the Lakers from after game 1 through their crushing defeat in game 5, I've got to say, I'm glad Detroit won. L.A.'s primadonnas, especially Kobe and Gary Payton, deserved to get a boot shoved up their asses. Instead of ever giving the Pistons credit, they just pointed out that their team just "needed to make some adjustments" to win the next game. As Tony Reali said on Around The Horn today, this was the first 5 game sweep in NBA Finals history. Wow, a paragraph about pro basketball, a sport I hate with an intense passion. What the hell is wrong with me?

And what the hell is the point of reversible clothing? My sister and mom, when shopping recently, found some cheap shorts at Aeropostale (a store I don't think I've ever been in, honestly) and decided to pick them up for me for frisbee. They're decent athletic shorts, but they're reversible. Now honestly, what in the hell is the point of reversible clothes? Sure, there's two different styles, but these are athletic shorts - manufactured for purpose, not style. If you get the out-side dirty, it's not like you can flip them over and wear them the other way - the nasty, dirty-ass side would be rubbing on you. I guess you're not supposed to care, but they still just seem stupid to me.

I'm pissed that I can't find anywhere in Tallahassee to watch the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament. In Atlanta or Detroit, I'm sure I'd be able to find somewhere to catch a game, like at a sports bar or something - but no such luck in tiny Tallahassee. At GT, I remember the student government ponying up the funds to broadcast the entire last Cricket World Cup, at the request of the Indian and Pakistani student societies [which are a very large group at Tech]. That was in interesting experience, but I can honestly say that cricket is boring as hell, and at least an international soccer tournament like this would be entertaining to watch. Guess I'll just have to deal with the online post-game highlights [shitty RealPlayer format] and read the write-ups. Here's to hoping the Frogs don't win it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page