Friday, June 25, 2004

The Aquabats, Stupidity Tries, Tennis, and Work

Nathan and I went to a show in Jacksonville on Wednesday night, and I have to say, the lineup was pretty solid from top to bottom. First off was That One Guy from San Francisco. He played a large metal pipe thingy with a lot of crazy synths and pickups. It's impossible to describe, so if you've got a few free minutes, some bandwith, and quicktime, go watch a video. Next up was Ontario resident Lederhosen Lucil, who was another extremely arty performer. Picture a girl wearing fake blonde braids, lederhose, and playing up a fake German accent in her electro-synthpop music. She was a great act - besides being suprisingly hot, her facial expressions, stage prescence, and funny lyrics made her a very, very good opening act. Next up was another Canadian act [or rather Canadien, as they're Frogs of Montreal], the ska band The Planet Smashers. I'd never heard of these guys [or any of the other opening acts] but holy shit, these guys rocked the house. They tried their hardest to steal the show from the 'Bats, but not quite. It was ska music at its finest, like Less Than Jake in their "Losing Streak" or "Hello Rockview" years. I look forward to catching them at the Warped Tour this year. Last up was the headlining act, The Aquabats. There's not much more that I can say other than these guys are fucking incredible. Fun music, but the real gem is their live show. The incredible audience participation, the silly outfits...they just have to be seen to be believed. If they come to your town, see them.

Stupidity Tries is a drinking game I'm working on. Eventually it will be a card game, where as you get a card, you have to do the crazy drinking-related thing on the card. For now, I haven't made my own cards. The first play test of it was last night at TND, and I have to say, for the most part it was a success. People got utterly sloshed, and seemed to have a lot of fun doing it. It was good hearing other peoples' opinions of the game, and important for me to see how it played out. Glenn described it best: "That game just seems like brutal shit happening over and over again. Mean, man." Excellent. When the rules are good and finalized, I'll post them here.

I used to play a lot of tennis, but I rarely ever enjoy watching it. Today I had Wimbledon on and I watched the replay of Andy Roddick's match against some Polish scrub. I have to say, I was fucking impressed to no end with Roddick's serves and mobility on the court. It was actually fun to watch, which was quite a pleasant suprise.

Work? Yeah, work. I'll be starting back up, full time, at a local hospital starting July 12. 11p-7a - night shift, baby. Being a child of the night [please don't confuse that with "Emo Goth Fucktard"] I prefer working at night. I did it in '99, so it should be fun do get at it again.

My Cell phone is turned off for good [tired of the 407 number and shitty Verizon], so if you need to get ahold of me, use the home phone, IM, or email me. I'll let you folks know when I get a new phone [Alltel].

1 Comments:

At 5:38 AM, Blogger Doug - The JeepCruzer said...

Dude, the Aquabats! I haven't listened to them since like 1998! I loved theier stuff, didn't know they were still around, perhaps I should get back into thier stuff cause they are awesome. I got into thier stuff when someone told me a couple of the guys in the band were orginally from my home state, Utah. Spent too much time enjoying the music to ever figure out if that was true or not. Anway, thanks for bringing back to jammin' memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page