Sunday, January 14, 2007

Best Songs of 2006

Like any top 10 list, this is always subject to change. Here's my list and a brief rundown of why for each one:


10. Steady, as She Goes - The Raconteurs
Rationale: I'm not a huge White Stripes fan, but I really liked the sound and feel of this really laid back song. I think that most nerdy guys can relate to this song - we've all been pegged as just "a friend" by a girl we've liked. This song is about the ineptness of that situation.
Favorite line: Well here we go again, you've found yourself a friend, that knows you well / But no matter what you do, you'll always feel as though you tripped and fell


9. Laura - Flogging Molly
Rationale: A song about a lost love, a lover's lament. It's heartbreaking, really. You really get the feeling of longing, of the pain in such a loss. I also like this song for other reasons. At the time of writing this, this CD's been in my alarm clock, so the first 30 seconds have been what's woken me up every day for the past two weeks. Not a bad way to start the day.
Favorite line: And I, I could've walked on the Sun / But my world came undone


8. O Valencia! - The Decemberists
Rationale: This song is peppy and I love the instrumentation. The story of a forbidden love and a tragic ending. It's dramatic and tragic - a three minute Romeo and Juliet, set in Spain, all nice and neat for your ears.
Favorite line: When we first laid eyes / I swore to no compromise / 'Til I felt my caress on your skin


7. I'd Tell You But... - Anti-Flag
Rationale: This track kicks off the album with one hell of a jumpstart. You can feel the outrage in their music - Anti-Flag is not happy with the state of affairs in the USA and they are going to let you know. This is 2:10 of incredible punk rock.
Favorite line: Your killing of my family / Did not make a fan out of me


6. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Rationale: The first time I heard this song I knew it was going to be one of my favorites. The opening is genius, and Cee-Lo's bellowing choruses give this song something unique, something that other song's don't replicate. I love the man's voice.
Favorite line: I remember when I lost my mind / There was something so pleasant about that place


5. The Compromise - The Format
Rationale: This song must be effective, as it always makes me want to dance. The Format created an incredible gem with this song - it's boiling over with happiness.
Favorite line: So meet me in the middle / Well come on let's make up a dance / And we'll agree to call it The Compromise


4. My Love (featuring T.I.) - Justin Timberlake
Rationale: Everything about this song is perfect - the beats, Justin's high, delicate vocals, T.I.'s swank rhymes - I really just can't complain about this song. It's even better when paired with the intro from the previous song. There's nothing wrong with this song at all.
Favorite line: I can see us holding hands / Walking on the beach, our toes in the sand / I can see us on the country side / Sitting on the grass, laying side-by-side


3. This Is How I Disappear - My Chemical Romance
Rationale: The hardest rocking song of the year for me, this song just gets me going. It's dark and loud, it's bleak in message, but it's incredible. I love it.
Favorite line: And without you is how I disappear


2. Rise Up! Rise Up! - Cursive
Rationale: This song musically is great, but it's the lyrics that really top the charts for me. It's a song about a man questioning religion, refusing to accept that which he's been told. He's troubled, and it shows in his desperate grasp to get others to join him and "rise up" in leaving religion behind him. A brilliantly constructed song.
Favorite line: I wasted half my life on the thought that I'd live forever / I wasn't taught to seize the day, but to work and worship / 'Cause "he that liveth and believeth" supposedly never dies


1. Black Republican (featuring Jay-Z) - Nas
Rationale: Jay-Z and Nas come together on the most grandiose rap track I can ever remember hearing. The sample used is from The Godfather II's "Marcia Religiosa" and it provides the stage for a song full of pomp, power, and importance. Nas and Jay-Z put some of the tightest rhymes of their careers on this track - if only Jay-Z could've put some of this on his terrible album this year ("Kingdom Come").
Favorite line: When you put in the game at age sixteen / Then you mix things like cars, jewelry and Miss Thing / Jealousy, ego, and pride this thing brings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page