Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Best Albums of 1996

1996 was another amazing year. How amazing? Well, scroll down - you'll see. This was nearly impossible to pick a top 10, so I chose 11. And without further delay, here's my best of 1996...



10t. Bringing Down The Horse - The Wallflowers
Reflections: While this selection might get me mocked, I really enjoyed this album. Jakob Dylan's voice, much better than his father's, is a real treat to listen to. The entire album is easy to listen to, and even now, I still have fond memories of this album. Mock if you want, but I liked the Wallflowers, and especially this album. Pop or not.
Best tracks: The Difference, One Headlight, 6th Avenue Heartbreak, Laughing Out Loud



10t. Crash - Dave Matthews Band
Reflections: A few years ago, this album would've rated a lot higher on this list, but I've been soured forever on Dave Matthews after his terrible later albums (which has turned into utter hatred of all jam bands ever). As much as I dislike DMB now, I can still listen to this album in bits and pieces. Still a good album though.
Best tracks: Crash Into Me, Two Step, Tripping Billies, So Much To Say



9. Odelay - Beck
Reflections:  This album was the darling of artsy music critics everywhere, and at least that was for a valid reason. Odelay is Beck's best, and the funky rock that only he can do makes for one hell of a musical ride. Go listen to it if you have it, if not, you're a square. Beck says so.
Best tracks: Devil's Haircut, Derelict, Where It's At, The New Pollution



8. The Score - The Fugees
Reflections: Three of the most successful and talented rappers ever were once in a group together. That group was the Fugees, and their best album was easily one of the best rap albums ever. The Score should be owned by anybody who appreciates rap, and even those who only mildly like it.
Best tracks: Fu-Gi-La, Ready or Not, Killing Me Softly



7. Turn The Radio Off - Reel Big Fish
Reflections: "Well I know you can't work in fast food all your life, but don't sign that paper tonight" she said, but it's too late. Amd with that, I was hooked. Reel Big Fish is one of my favorite ska bands ever, even if they're 'Sell Outs'. They put on great shows, and the absolute fun that is Turn The Radio Off proves just how talented the Fish really are.
Best tracks: Sell Out, Everything Sucks



6. One Fierce Beer Coaster - Bloodhound Gang
Reflections: My high school buddies (specifically you, Zatch Brown) turned me on to this album. The first single, a remake of the popular club chant about a blazing roof, didn't impress me at all. But after hearing Lift Your Head, I knew that this was an album I had to had. And I soon did. Funny, yet able to rock at the same time, Jimmy Pop and the BHG made one hell of a solid disc.
Best tracks: Lift Your Head Up High (And Blow Your Brains Out), Boom, Asleep at the Wheel



5. The Gray Race - Bad Religion
Reflections: Another classic Bad Religion album, The Gray Race was very radio/pop friendly, even though it didn't really have any popular success. But this album is solid. I picked this up in a bargain bin around 1998, and it was the best $6 I ever spent on an album. Go listen to 'Parallel'.
Best tracks: Them And Us, Parallel, Punk Rock Song, Victory, Spirit Shine



4. Fashion Nugget - Cake
Reflections: Cake is one of the most unique bands ever. After hearing 'Frank Sinatra', I knew that this was something new and different. After listening to the rest of the album, I knew that I had just listened to one bad ass CD. So get it, sing/wail along, and have a good time.
Best tracks: Frank Sinatra, The Distance, I Will Survive, Italian Leather Sofa



3. Midgets With Guns - Pain
Reflections: I would like to thank Matt Cooper for intoducing me to Pain, because a life without Pain is a long ending game of errors repeated again and again. Seriously, Midgets With Guns was refreshing and new, and it just gets even better with age. Got $10? Don't have this album? Go get it.
Best tracks: Fight, Milk, Grudge, Ellen, The People The People, Island of Fear



2. Pinkerton - Weezer
Reflections: Yeah, you're probably wondering how in the world I could put one of the best albums ever recorded in the 2 hole. Well, I'm certainly not downing Pinkerton, it's amazing. From start to finish, Weezer smashed any potential sophomore jinx talk by putting out a rediculously high quality album. My only gripe is that it wasn't well publicized, so I didn't pick it up until late 1997. That, and they haven't put out an album nearly as good since.
Best tracks: Whole album - yet another superb 10 tracks by the Weezer boys.



1. Losing Streak - Less Than Jake
Reflections: Yes, I picked this over Pinkerton. Why? Because I love ska, and by far and away, Losing Streak was the best ska album I've ever owned. Normally, this is where the punk rock elitists point to Op Ivy's Energy or something by the Specials, but Losing Streak simply blew me away. It was ska, but it had the energy of hardcore punk, instead of the normal laid back swagger of ska. Seen LTJ live? If not, you're missing out badly. Seeing them and Bad Religion on the same stage in 2002 was the best concert I've ever been to.
Best tracks: The entire album. The first 3 tracks blend into each other and just rock hard.


Go back to the main page, or on to 1997

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page