Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Best Albums of 1991

While 1991 wasn't a particularly strong year in music in terms of number of quality releases, it did however produce a few essential cornerstones of any well rounded CD collection. It is with this year, the year I began to listen to rock and roll, that I begin my lists. And with that, on we go...


Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
10. Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
Reflections: The first real rap album I ever remember hearing (not counting Hammer or Vanilla Ice), Cypress Hill's selftitled opened a whole new world to me. While this album wasn't particularly brilliant or well-polished, it was good.



9. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
Reflections: A cult classic, I didn't hear this album untilI hit college. MBV is definitely a unique listen, but after a few listens, the music becomes almost intoxicating. Most people have probably never listened to My Bloody Valentine, but they should. Not the easiest stuff to get into, but it's worth at least a listen.
Best tracks: When You Sleep



8. Achtung Baby - U2
Reflections: There's no denying U2's place in the pop culture pantheon nowadays, but back in 1991 they released, in my mind, their finest album. Back before all the rediculous hype, the boys from Ireland just made quality rock and roll, and this album reflects it.
Best tracks: Sunday, Bloody Sunday



7. Out of Time - R.E.M.
Reflections: The album that put Michael Stipe and pals in the spotlight. I remember the first time I heard R.E.M. was on MTV when I caught the video for 'Losing My Religion.' I was mesmerized - the vocals, the guitars - it seemed like such a sad, but beautiful song. While later R.E.M. efforts fell way short of Out of Time's success, this album is solid.
Best tracks: Losing My Religion



6. Use Your Illusion I - Guns 'N' Roses
Reflections: The better of GNR's two albums of 1991, this album, along with the remaining few on this list, weened me away from pop music (Gloria Estefan, etc) into the glorious world of rock (and later into punk). I still remember hearing Axl Rose's raspy voice screeching out tunes on this disc. And come on, 'November Rain'? How could you not like that song?
Best tracks: November Rain



5. Trompe Le Monde - The Pixies
Reflections: Admittedly, I didn't get into the Pixies until
I got to college. Anybody who appreciated the change in rock music of the early 90s can appreciate the Pixies, who seemed to be inspiration for most all of the bigger bands of the time. Trompe Le Monde is the band's best album, and was way ahead of its time. Though not the most polished album ever (Pixies albums rarely are) this is something everybody who likes rock should listen to at least once.
Best tracks: Alec Eiffel, Planet Of Sound




4. Blood Sugar Sex Magick - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Reflections: The Chili Peppers did something I'd never really heard before, they mixed smooth, chill out music with some pretty loud rock and semi-rap - and they pulled it off well. After seeing the video for 'Under The Bridge' I went out and got the tape, and was hooked. While the album has its weak spots, it also has unbelieveable highs, and for such, will always remain in my collection.
Best tracks: Breaking the Girl, Under the Bridge, Give It Away,
Suck My Kiss



3. Ten - Pearl Jam
Reflections: Back in the early 90s, Pearl Jam was one of my favorite bands, but then the quality of their music went right down the crapper (see Vitalogy, Yield, etc). But Ten was simply amazing. As major figureheads in the grunge movement, something I was definitely into back in my younger days, Pearl Jam's Ten was brilliant. Eddie Vedder's aggresive, yet smooth and listenable vocals make this album a necessary own.
Best tracks: Evenflow, Alive, Jeremy, Go



2. Metallica - Metallica
Reflections: This is without a doubt, one of the best albums ever. The Black album rocks solid from start to finish, as most anybody who's ever listened to it would probably agree. When grunge was taking over the airwaves, the boys of Metallica put out this gem of heavy metal goodness. If you need some loud, aggressive music, you think Metallica. And when you want good Metallica, this is the album you want.
Best tracks: Wherever I May Roam, Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, Sad But True



1. Nevermind - Nirvana
Reflections: I hate to sound corny, but this album really did change my life. I stopped listening to crap, and started listening to loud, aggressive rock - it fostered me from childhood into teenage life. Kurt Cobain became the first rock idol I ever looked up to, and even though I honestly couldn't understand a single word in the first of his songs I ever heard (Teen Spirit) I knew that I liked what I heard. For people my age, I would bet most of them own a copy of Nevermind - it's the Frampton Comes Alive for Generation X.
Best tracks: The entire damned album. I didn't feel like listing every track.


Go back to the main page, or on to 1992

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page