Thursday, December 02, 2004

Some New Games

After having a shitty day I'm going to talk about something that always makes me happy: games.

My videogaming habits are weird. I can't ever seem to play just one game at once, unless that game is phenomenal - in which case I'll sit down and devote almost every free moment of my time to the game, in attempt to beat it. Now these games are very, very few and far between. Most of the time, I'll start to play one game, play it to a point where it either gets boring or annoys me, and then I'll shut off the console and play something else for a little while (either hours or months, who knows) and eventually I'll come back to the game. An example: I got to the final boss in the amazingly fun Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga for the GameBoy Advance and after getting annoyed with the cheapness that the boss (Bowletta - a combination of bosses Bowser and Cackletta) showed, I put the game down for a while. Last night at work I finally beat the boss, on my second try. While I loved the rest of the game - the dialogue was brilliant and the action and story were both top notch - that one point in the game made me put it down for a while. I guess I have the gamer's equivalent to ADD. Games that I've got partially beat at the moment include the following:
...and probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment. Not that those games aren't all excellent (most of them are) it's just that there are too many games and not enough time.

After finishing Mario and Luigi I took it and a few other GBA games down to GameStop and traded them in towards Metroid Prime 2 and Mario Power Tennis, two games I'll no doubt love. [And yes you heard that right, I bought games.] I'm currently playing my way through Metroid (started a few hours ago, writing this post in-between game sessions) and I've got to say that I absolutely love it. The original Metroid Prime was the biggest gaming suprise I'd ever had. I bought my Gamecube in February 2003, for my birthday, because the price had dropped to $149 and I figured out a deal at Best Buy to get a Gamecube+Mario Sunshine bundle (which were few and far between), and at the time Nintendo was giving out your choice of one of 4 games (Metroid Prime, Mario Party 4, Resident Evil 0, and some other game I forget) so I snatched up my Cube, Sunshine, Metroid, and Best Buy's free promotional NBA Street for $149. Hell of a deal. [By the way, if you don't have a Gamecube by now, why? $99 nets you a Cube and Mario Kart: Double Dash - and most of the best games are only $20. So get on it.] Anyway, I picked up Metroid Prime only because so many people had said good things about it, but I never really played it until maybe late April. After buying my Cube in late February, all I could think of was the March release of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - I loved the Zelda series and that honestly was the reason I bought my Cube. So after beating Zelda, a great game, I turned my sights to Sunshine - a game which left me wanting. Bored with that, I threw in Metroid and was instantly hooked. The amazing music, the creepy ambience, the brilliant gameplay - it easily became my favorite game of the year and possibly of all-time. [Well, second to MegaMan 2 at least.]

So when I heard there was a sequel to Prime coming out, I knew I wanted it. But I learned one very, very valuable lesson in 2003: never buy games the day they come out. What taught me that lesson? Enter The Matrix. I bought it for my Gamecube and boy was it a stinker. A complete waste of money. So since then the only game I've pre-ordered or bought the day it came out was the aforementioned Mario Kart. So I let Prime 2 come out, waited for reviews, and when they were overwhelmingly positive (as I thought they would be) I went out and got it. Now I'll tell you in a month or so how good it truly is.

Enough rambling, back to the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Now Playing on Last.FM:

Locations of visitors to this page